The Special Investigations Unit (SIU) has reopened its investigation into an Ontario Provincial Police officer who was captured on video beating a Métis man in custody.
“Yes, it has been re-opened based on new evidence that has been received,” said Kristy Denette, SIU spokesperson, in an email Thursday morning.
The SIU investigates all incidents of death, serious injuries or claims of sexual assault involving police on duty.
Investigators had originally closed their case on Const. Scott Anthony late last year saying the alleged victim, Ronnie Taylor, wasn’t seriously injured in the incident.
The SIU came to that conclusion based on Taylor’s medical files and without the assistance of cell block video from inside the OPP’s Bracebridge detachment on June 21, 2022.
APTN obtained the video in late June following a two-month court battle that ended with a judge ordering the court to release the video to APTN.
The exclusive video aired last month and shows Anthony repeatedly striking Taylor while in a cell as two other officers watched.
Anthony’s notes on the night in question also never mentioned the blows inside the cell.
The OPP told APTN the SIU never requested the video during its original investigation.
The SIU previously charged Anthony with several counts of assault with a weapon and assault causing bodily harm relating to a separate incident that happened a few weeks after Anthony struck Taylor in the police cell blocks.
That matter is scheduled to go to trial next spring.
The OPP previously told APTN it’s reviewing its decision not to charge Anthony for the incidence with Taylor.
It’s also reviewing how Taylor’s lawyer wasn’t given the video for months, despite making several requests, and when he did get the video the portion involving the beating had been removed.
The OPP told APTN there was a technical issue with the video.
Taylor did finally get the video, and officer notes earlier this year after the SIU had wrapped up its original investigation.