Police searching for ‘armed and dangerous’ 32-year-old Sagamok First Nation man

OPP, Anishinabek police continue search for armed individual

(Police on the trail of Trystan Ashley Sago, 32, from Sagamok Anishnawbek First Nation, following violent incident involving firearm early Tuesday. OPP handout)

APTN National News
Police dogs and an OPP tactical unit were on the trail of a 32-year-old Sagamok Anishnawbek man Tuesday following an incident that put the Ontario First Nation under lockdown throughout the day.

The OPP said in a press release issued Tuesday evening that the search continued for Trystan Ashley Sago, who was described as being 5’11, weighing about 185 lbs. and with short dark hair.

The OPP release said events began to unfold shortly after 9:30 a.m. in the community after officers with the Anishinabek Police and the OPP were called to respond to an incident involving a firearm at a residence.

Now, an OPP tactical unit, along with the provincial police agency’s canine unit and the crime unit from the OPP detachment in Sudbury, Ont., are all involved in the manhunt for Sao, according to the release.

The release said Sago was “armed and dangerous.”

All band operated offices—along with two schools—on the Sagamok Anishnawbek First Nation were put into lockdown earlier in the day as a result of an “incident involving violence” linked to Sago.

The Biidaaban Kinoomaagegamik and Shiki Waase Aabin Binoojiinh Gamik schools were put on lockdown and all residents in the community were told to lock their doors and cover their windows until the band council gives the all clear, according to a notice issued by the band council.

“Due to an incident involving violence in the community the Sagamok Anishnawbek chief and council is initiating a community-wide emergency lockdown,” said the notice, sent out early Tuesday. “According to police, the immediate danger is coming from an armed community member that is at large within the community.”

Sagamok First Nation sits about 100 kilometres west of Sudbury, Ont.