Want to rename the Langevin block in Ottawa? No problem, here’s how

APTN National News
On Thursday, four Indigenous MPs held a news conference to announce they were asking the Minister of Public Works Judy Foote to rename Langevin Block, the building across from Parliament Hill that houses the executive branch of government and the prime minister’s working office.  

Why? Hector-Louis Langevin, a Father of Confederation, was the architect of the residential school system that saw tens of thousands of Indigenous children ripped from their parent’s arms and into state-run schools.  

In Calgary, Alta., city council voted to rename the Langevin Bridge over the Bow River to Reconciliation Bridge. 

So how do you rename a government building? Here is what the Department of Public Works sent APTN. 

Langevin-sign-and-entrance Elgin side

The naming of Government of Canada structures can be initiated after a new construction or purchase of structures for government use. In addition, names of existing government structures can be changed for compelling public policy reasons, and following appropriate consultation.

A name can be submitted at any time for consideration by the Minister. The individual or group is required to have supporting rationale accompanying the naming proposal. In addition, any individual or group

In addition, any individual or group may submit a name during a public consultation process related to naming a Government of Canada structure.

The Minister of Public Services and Procurement is responsible for approving the names of most Government of Canada structures.

Government of Canada structures include: government office buildings, special purpose buildings, laboratories, archival facilities, warehouses, museums, airports and their dependent structures (such as wings and pavilions), as well as other structures, like bridges and wharves.

[email protected]

Contribute Button