Sto:lo GC says alleged incident at Chilliwack General Hospital is a ‘serious event’

The chair of the First Nations Health Council and Grand Chief of the Sto:lo Nation is calling the alleged racist treatment of a Sto:lo woman at the Chilliwack General Hospital (CGH) in B.C. hospital the worst he’s ever heard.

Contribute Button  

4 thoughts on “Sto:lo GC says alleged incident at Chilliwack General Hospital is a ‘serious event’

  1. This is disgusting. What is wrong with people? How can care givers treat people so callously? Both they and the hospital that employs them need to be held accountable.

  2. This is horrible!! I had two separate incidents at the hospital as well that I thought were not right. My husband wasn’t treated right away by the time they got him back in for a ultra sand they had to do emergency surgery!!! Dr said was a life and death situation!! All because we are sent home also! Another incident was a dr trying to use a piece of string to rip out a barbed fishing hook out of my 8 year olds leg!! Not once but twice!! All after me saying about it being barbed and would need freeze and cut! Nope he did it his way and caused my son horrible pain. Had it worked he would is had a big chunk skin missing. Was horrifying

  3. I have a little notebook in which I wrote down every person I contacted after my son was assaulted. From band council, to native police liason officers, police, lawyers, both organizations that police the RCMP and city cops. To say there is help when we need it, is a fallacy. Beside each name I wrote (no help) on several entries. In the end, I was left to handle it on my own.
    Doug and I belong to the same reserve and have crossed paths a few times and not in a good way. So going to him would not have been an option for me. The most recent involved getting my son into rehab. He was turned away by our D&A worker, but others who were related to council have been helped. Extenuating circumstances were there but allowances would have been made. Where is the help?!

    Years ago, my son was about 10, I broke my left ankle skiing at Manning Park. I drove to this hospital where I waited for 2 hrs and then was sent to the back (file in my lap). We (my son and I) waited another 3 hours after which time I left without receiving treatment. I drove to Coquitlam where the hospital took care of me and within 20 min I was out of there. Examination, xray, cast, done. So yes, there has always been a race issue at Chilliwack Hospital.

    I feel very badly when I see this sort of thing happening to our people. It strikes a very tender nerve. I hope Mary Stewart gets compensated for the abhorrent treatment she went through at this hospital.

  4. This event is so disgraceful and I just don’t understand how an individual and the CGH who is certified to treat the public in our Medical and Health Care could practice such cruelty to one that comes in front of them for care!! I mean we can all sit here and speculate the “why’s”, but with is it wasn’t just with the nurse , Just looking at the Photo of Mary, why was she (as they stated) “permanently discharged” even. Not once but twice! And then she receives emergency surgery. I am at a loss for words!
    This DOES NEED to go to COURT and it defiantly needs proper attention since obviously “Proper Attention” is not at CHILLIWACK GENERAL HOSPITAL.

Comments are closed.