An Ontario judge ruled Monday that a Thunder Bay man will go to trial for second-degree murder in the death of Barbara Kentner.
Brayden Bushby is alleged to have thrown a trailer hitch at the late 34-year-old Anishinaabe mother.
Bushby was charged with second-degree murder after Kentner died on July 17, 2018, six months after she was hit in the stomach with the trailer hitch.
Bushby, 18 at the time of the incident, was originally charged with aggravated assault. The charges were upgraded following Kentner’s death.
Read more: Barbara Kentner
The judge’s decision Monday comes after Bushby’s preliminary hearings concluded last October. It was supposed to happen last week but the judge asked for more time.
Kentner’s family had traveled to Thunder Bay last week for the decision that was postponed until Monday.
Kentner’s teenage daughter Serena said waiting for justice has been difficult.
“This has been going on for so long and my mom, she deserves justice, and I deserve to finally be able to grieve,” she said. “I just want this to be all over so I can finally start grieving.”