Iqaluit mayor Kenny Bell tweets his resignation

Kenny Bell, Iqaluit’s outspoken mayor, resigned in a series of Tweets posted online Tuesday afternoon.

He didn’t immediately give a reason or respond to questions from media.

Bell simply wrote on Twitter: “After discussing with my family and friends I have made the decision to resign my position of Mayor of @CityofIqaluit as of today.”

He had one year remaining on a four-year term of office.

His resignation is effective immediately, said city hall.

“Mayor Bell passionately served the community during his tenure as city councillor and mayor,” said a statement from city hall. “It is not a small thing to step up and represent your community in this capacity, and the Municipality thanks Kenny for his years of service.

“Deputy Mayor, Solomon Awa, will serve as Mayor and Councillor Sheppard will serve as Deputy Mayor until Council determines or until the next municipal election scheduled for fall of 2023.”

Bell had been in Reykjavik, Iceland for the 2022 Arctic Circle Assembly, and resigned upon his return to Nunavut’s capital.

One delegate at the conference told APTN News Bell was a no-show for a panel he was supposed to be on. City of Iqaluit officials confirm Bell did not attend the session, and has offered to repay the city the cost of the trip.

Bell could not be immediately reached for comment, but did indicate that he will be speaking with media sometime next week. Iqaluit City Council has called an emergency meeting for Tuesday evening, but it hasn’t shared the agenda and every item will be discussed “in-camera”.

Bell came to national attention during Iqaluit’s water crisis late last year when the city spent two months without potable water. It resulted in plane loads of bottled water being made available and the Canadian Armed Forces being sent to help.

He was previously a city councillor from 2012 to 2015, He resigned from that post with a year left on his term citing frustration with city management.

Contribute Button